Tuesday, March 03, 2009

The Difference


The difference between being a high achiever and an overachiever is slowly, painfully becoming clear to me. It's not something I've given much thought to during the past 10 years or so, but since I'm back in school and find myself being "graded," these concepts have thrust themselves back to the forefront.

I've always known I am a high achiever and do an especially great job when I really care about something or there is the promise of some sort of payoff (a good grade, a nice raise, some praise or a compliment from someone who 'matters'). It's just part of my personality and a trait I thank my mom for. The flip side is that tasks for which there is no reward or payoff are left to languish. For that, too, I can thank my mom. But you know what? I'll take the good with the bad - the net result is good!

Speaking of taking the good with the bad, I've sort of suddenly realized that I may not just be a high achiever, but an overachiever. This, I'm afraid, is not a good thing.

Case in point:
I find myself, having made the highest grade on a test, setting the literal and proverbial curve for the class, and being disappointed that I *only* made a 96. WHAT?!? That is craziness. Pure lunacy, I tell you. But it's true.

Case, part deux:
The professor picked my essay out of the entire pile of class submissions to illustrate his ideal. Awesome. Except look at that typo and that comma splice, and oh. my. God... he put my paper up on BlackBoard and now the whole class can see all my mistakes!

I've determined that I must be diligent to guard against the self-criticism, let go and just be happy with the 96, damn it. Now, if anyone can tell me how exactly to go about doing this, I'll be eternally grateful.

p.s. It was a 101 after the curve because I found an error in his grading after he'd added the curve so, bonus point!.
p.p.s. Okay, maybe I still have some work to do on this letting-go thing....

3 comments:

RARE1 said...

I feel your pain...case in point: my house. When it comes to real estate though, I rock! I think it really has to do with the rewards. This week I got flowers twice, and a new Brighton necklace from clients. I think it has to do with my dad instilling in me over and over again, "A job worth doing, is worth doing well!" Okay, then I guess I feel like the house is not a job worth doing. Ugh...I need to change that attitude...but this also explains why, when I DO decide to work on the house--it's MAJOR--like starting in the back bedroom in the very back of the closet kind of major. Oh, dear. I think I have a problem! Jas, did you really have to venture into this area? I'm not sure I'm ready to fight this dragon, and even if I do, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to slay him. Anyway, I'm glad I have one of the most creative and funny people on my team in this craziness. Hang in there, you'll be fine, (or crazy like me).

Jessica and Matt said...

Seriously. Seriously??? Seriously?!? Kidding. I'm pretty much exactly the same. Except I would be happy with a 96. Unless it was one of my stronger subjects ingl school. Then I would defo be disappointed. But a 101?!? Yeah - NO disappointment there, weirdo. K. Late. Gotta go. Happy bday again!! Love you!!!

Ri said...

I also do well at anything that interests me and ignore anything that doesn't. But when I have to do something,even though it bores me to death, it has to be p-e-r-f-e-c-t, due to my obsessive-compulsive tendencies. Or is this the definition of overachievement?
Anyway, if you find you can't let go, maybe have yourself checked out for OCD. As for me, I enjoy my rep for being a perfectionist (difficult?). Gives me licence to do things my way without too much interference ;)