Friday, September 04, 2009

Color me flummoxed

I did not vote for Obama and still am not sure I'm a fan - I need to see him materially deliver on some of his promises before I can be won over.

However, I do NOT understand why people are so up in arms over his speech to our nation's school children. As a kid, I can remember being enthralled when listening to President Reagan. Kids look up to the president. Why is it a bad thing for kids to get encouragement to be responsible and take their education seriously? I just don't get it.

I'm fairly certain that if the tables were turned, the other side would be in a tizzy. But it all just seems so darn silly, and I do not understand why the controversy has reached a fever pitch. How amusing that we consider ourselves an educated and civilized people. Educated and civilized my ass - the rest of the world is pointing and laughing at our asinine behavior.

2 comments:

RARE1 said...

Whoa! You really feel strongly about this...huh? Unfortunately, both sides of the political bend seem to be fueling their agendas with sensationalism. I think it would do this country a lot of good to step back, take a deep breath, and objectively look at what is going on here, and what, if anything we are willing to do differently. I do believe it is time for people to get involved, but maybe we could be more effective if we left some of the drama out of the issues. Doing the right thing should have nothing to do with our political persuasions--

Atayla said...

hi I can not speak English, this text did you put me on a site that translates, I speak Portuguese and live in Brazil and the message you are reading I put on the same site.
I found your text very interresante.