Friday, July 29, 2011

Fun with the Cricut

Pressly bought me the Cricut Expression for Christmas in 2008, along with Make The Cut software so I could cut a variety of fonts not available through Provo Craft / Cricut and manipulate the layout on my computer before cutting.  My very first project was to make layered folder labels for my next semester of school.  As you might imagine, I was the envy of all my School of Education peeps.  Yes, we are a crafty (and covetous) bunch.  :)

I've made a number of other things, including some great layered letter cutouts for my student teaching mentor.  And now I'm using it to create for my very own classroom!  I'm so excited to be able to choose different fonts and cut them in any color combo I choose, instead of being relegated to whatever is available at the teacher supply stores.

The layered letter process is a multi-step one that involves choosing a font, laying out the design with the computer software to get the best use of each 12"x12" sheet of paper, choosing the paper(s), cutting, then gluing the layers together.

Sometimes too much choice is not necessarily a good thing.  I started pulling paper out of my stash and realized I might have a small addiction. 
Okay, let's be real.  I'm not ashamed to admit that I love paper.  Lots and lots of paper.  In different textures, colors, weights, and patterns.  Love.  
So of course, I got the paper out first and fondled it...erm...studied my choices...

Then I actually powered on the Cricut and opened my handy dandy software.


First up - for the bulletin board outside my classroom:
 (No, my bulletin board does not look like 18" floor tiles.  That's on my floor because I can't get into my classroom to work for another week or so.)

First, I laid out the letters using my software, then chose papers, mounted them on the cutting mats, and started the cutting:
This software is really cool because it shows you what it's cutting as it cuts!  Too bad Provo Craft (the company who makes the Cricut) sued Make The Cut and they can no longer sell their software for the Cricut platform.

After cutting four separate sheets, everything was ready to assemble:
The mat you see standing up is an example of what I have after I pull off all the excess paper.  I then have to carefully remove each letter from the mat.

I applied adhesive to the backs of the smaller top layer pieces, then applied them to the fatter bottom layer:
I use Elmer's no-wrinkle rubber cement because if I get sloppy, I can rub off the excess after it dries.  Plus, no wrinkles.  
(The letters, not necessarily me.)

And, then, like cooking-show majick, the final product:


 I also made letters for my read around kiosk:
 See the two "&" signs?  That's because they will be mounted in a circle and the phrase will never end.  "Look around and read and look around and read and..."  Get it?  I need to laminate these before I attach them to the kiosk; I'll post a picture of that once it's done.

I also plan to make letters for my Word Wall and my Academic Vocabulary wall, but I need to find out whether I have time to paint my room first.  The walls are currently purple, yellow, blue and pink.  I'd like to change the color scheme, so whether I have time to paint will dictate the colors of those letters.

Next up? Buckets of Fun...

2 comments:

Candice said...

I seriously wish you lived closer so we could do all this crafty stuff together. I want to use mom's cricut to make some stuff for my office and some bulletin boards that will be mine with family and educational stuff at the center. I seem to have no time when I am there though...imagine that! You are going to be so awesome in the classroom! I look forward to reading your blogs about the first few weeks especially so don't quit writing even when you are exhausted from it all!!!

Subhash said...
This comment has been removed by the author.