Tuesday, October 02, 2007

"Does it make coffee?"

My sisters have been on my mind a lot lately. They are all so accomplished but still so very grounded. One has faced enormous tribulation, but always emerges stronger in her faith. She and her husband are extremely successful and musically talented. They work very hard and glorify God in all they do. Another is such a free spirit, introspective and wise beyond her years. She reminds me a lot of our mom. She's just about to finish college and start a new exciting journey. She's made some tough decisions lately but seems so much happier now. The third is so smart, loving and talented. She's a junior in high school but it looks like she's already paved her way to a college scholarship through her amazing twirling talent. She's so smart, kind and driven. I can't wait to see what she does in years to come!

The cooler evenings have me looking forward to the holidays - I just wish the days were cooler too! Thinking of Christmas reminds me of the many fun surprises and escapades of youth. When Jessica and I were very young (she was about 4 and I was around 6 years old), daddy took us to Winn's buy Christmas gifts for one another. He made each of us sit in the car while he took the other in to make our choice. He purchased our selections and then hid them in the trunk of the car. He instructed us that these gifts were secrets and we were not to tell the other what we bought.

We went home and gleefully wrapped the gifts separately and put them under the Christmas tree. I think we managed to make it about an hour and a half before we decided we just could not stand the suspense any longer. In our infinite wisdom, we figured out as long as we didn't tell daddy that we told each other and as long as we promised to act really surprised on Christmas morning, we could safely exchange secrets.

So we did.

Then the game commenced.
4 year old Jessica: "Daddy, if I guess what Jasmine bought me will you tell me I got it right?"
Daddy: "Ok"
4 year old Jessica, coyly: "Does..... it..... hmmm....... MAKE COFFEE?"
Daddy: dead silence. But his whole head turned purple.

Jessica, of course didn't quite grasp the levity of what she had just done, but *I* knew, and she soon learned.

Oh crap.

See, she loved sweet, milk-laden coffee. So I bought her a kid's real working coffee maker that you had to pour water in, add grounds then pump, pump, pump with your hand to get it to drip. It was rectangular monstrosity with a big orange button and a transparent brown reservoir window and it brewed cold coffee.

And Daddy, with all the wisdom of a daddy, obviously knew that no four year old on the planet would spontaneously guess that. Much less on the first try. He threatened to take our gifts away, but they were still there on Christmas morning. Funny thing is, I don't have a clue what it was that Jessica bought me that year. I'm pretty sure it was either something miniature or a Strawberry Shortcake figurine.

Those shopping trips continued until we left home, but we never shared our secrets again.

4 comments:

Jessica and Matt said...

So FREAKING funny! That story still makes me laugh & tear up! I am seriously amazed, though at how clear your memory is. So funny. Seriously. I had forgotten that the coffee wasn't even hot!! Hee hee.

Gurl, it's good to keep things in perspective--we had THE BEST times at Christmas as kids! I love that our presents were from Winn's! And it's just like Daddy to be so involved in making our Christmases (is that a word??) special!

Sadly, I have no idea what you got that year, either. :) I know I told you, but you (as usual!) were smarter about it... Btw--we told each other at least one other time--remember the purple suede jacket??? I remember being worried after you told me about it, because it sounded HIDEOUS! But it was pimpin. I loved that jacket.

On a random note, what about saving and saving, and then going on a shopping spree with green stamps?!? I loved that tacky little plastic wall clock I got one time! Do you have clear memories of those times? You should write about that, too... :)

Jasmine Bonner said...

Okay, there was that one thing with the coat. But that doesn't count because it wasn't my gift to you!

:P

Jasmine Bonner said...

Oh my gosh. How could I forget about the S&H Greenstamps! I remember walking around the store dreaming of saving enough stamps for the really cool stuff. And mom helping us fill and redeem the books. But I don't remember anything we bought, except maybe that clock.

j.o.r.d.a.n. said...

love it!